corner

corner

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Backdrop redux

The original backdrop was 1/8" Masonite fastened directly to the sheetrock walls in my garage. Over the years silverfish have eaten through the Masonite in spots. The Masonite that I used was off the old layout, so I had plenty of joints to tape and float. With the temperature changes in the garage caused the joints to crack and peel, so I had to think of a new way to do it.



I was going to use 1/4" Masonite this time,, but the big box stores in my area were out of it, so I found some 1/4" underlayment. I also decided to fasten 3/4" material on the sheetrock first before hanging the
underlayment. The brown spots you see in the picture is where the silverfish attacked the Masonite and sheetrock.


After hanging the underlayment I was really satisfied with the way it came out. You can see in the picture above that I ran the 3/4" material below the bottom of the backdrop, I did that so I would have a surface to secure the new benchwork to.


Here is one coat of paint. The blue that I chose was a match to the blue on the printed backdrop from Realistic Backrounds. I took a section to the local big box and had the paint department match the blue. On the previous layout I had cut the sky out from the prints and just affixed the pictures to the backdrop once the paint had cured for a couple of days.

So I still need to fill the holes and fill the seams, then apply the final coat of paint. I am ready to get the new sections of benchwork up,, so I can start laying the new trackage. 

I thought about asking for help from the forums and other resources for a track plan to use. The area is question is going to be 1'-6" x 14'. Any ideas out there?

Well that is it for now, more to follow.

See ya, Greg


No comments:

Post a Comment