corner

corner

Friday, October 11, 2013

Weathering,,,if you really want to call it that

After reading forums, magazines and just talking to friends I decided to try my hand at weathering again. After yesterdays attempt, I think the WBTR is going to invest numerous wash racks and pressure washers,,,Then I won't have to weather anything!!! LOL

             These pieces of rolling stock were the first ones I ever weathered back in 2003, and you can tell it!! I mostly used a india ink wash, some oil pigments and some floquil instant weathering spray.
 
This is the first locomotive I did. The loco started out as a super detail project, but then after seeing that yellow paint did not match up, I decided to weather it with some Floquil paints sprayed from my airbrush, I also used weathering powders for the first time.
This was my first ever detail and weather job together. If you have go to the BLMA website, this loco is in the detailed models section, page 2. After Craig posted it, my head got so big,,, I could not wear any hats.LOL
 
 
 
These following models were done by using weathering powders, acrylic artist medium, and acrylic craft paints for washes.


 
The Milwaukee Road covered hopper seemed like a good place to practice. This is before I heard of fading the paint and distressing the lettering.
 
Here is a PWRS Covered hopper, once again before I new about fading and distressing the lettering and the logo. I think I came out ok. Some freinds of mine say it looks real good.
 
I did some boxcars while I was waiting for the washed on the covered hopper to dry. Nothing better than actual real sunlight for pictures. I was happy with the way they turned out.
Here is the current as of 10/10/2013 weathering project. I used acrylic craft paints, acrylic artist medium, and weathering powders by Bragdon Enterprises.
The fade wash came out ok. before I put on the fading wash, I took a pink eraser and distressed the lettering and logo. And then the fade wash. Some people apply the fade with a airbrush, I used a brush,, I wish my compresor was up,,but nope, it is sleeping with the fishes.
 
 
I next used acrylic washes and powders. Me thinks I should have waited for each phase to dry/cure, I bet it would have came out better.
I used raw umber on the trucks, looks alright. I feel once you have the right pigments/paints you can do anything. 
 
You can really see the "rust" weathering powders in these two pictures. I was trying to go for a scrape from the door, also a textured appearance at the track on the bottom where grime, dirt and rust would gather.
 
 Well there you have it, I am no artist, heck I did not even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
 
 I think my collection is going to be coming out of the wash rack/paint shop everyday.LOL
 
Thanks for looking.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment